You’re ready for more responsibility and are yearning for some companionship, why not look into getting a pet? There are tons of fabulous shelter animals in need of their forever home, could you be their savior? However, before adopting a pet, please be aware that you are committing to the animal for its entire life and that this is a HUGE undertaking to care for a living being. Read the articles and look at the resources available to help make your adoption experience as easy as possible.
- Adopt, Don't Shop!
- Are You Ready to Adopt a Pet?
- What Type of Pet Is Right For You?
- Sites to Help You Find Your New Pet
Adopting from a shelter versus buying from a pet store or a breeder is a big decision that many people struggle with. The articles below detail the reasons the pros of buying from a shelter versus a breeder or pet store.
- People often want a purebred dog but have no idea they can find these animals at rescues and shelters. This article from the Dodo describes how to rescue a purebred.
- The Human Society details the top ten reasons to adopt your new best friend
- Helping Hands provides ten fantastic reasons to adopt your next pet. One of the reasons is that you can save a life, how amazing is that?
- The Pedigree Foundation details six great reasons to adopt your next pet
- Too many people are still buying their animals instead of adopting them. This article from the ASPCA provides excellent reasons why you should adopt your next pet instead of buying them from a store or breeder.
- The Dodo offers 7 reasons why people should NEVER purchase puppies from a pet store
- Michele Hanson, an opinion writer for The Guardian, makes a desperate plea to stop breeding dogs and buying pedigree dogs. This article is full of heart and depicts some of the inhumanity associated with breeding.
- One Green Planet details why it is essential to avoid even reputable breeders
- Breeding Business provides seven convincing reasons why breeding dogs is terrible
Please be aware that these quizzes should make you think about your life critically and the impact that a pet will have on your routine. However, only you can determine if being a pet parent is right for you.
- If you’re not sure if you’re ready to adopt, take this Adoption Quiz from PETA to find out if now is the right time to open your home to a furry friend
- This quiz form Go To Quiz will determine if you are ready to welcome a furry feline into your home
- Are you thinking about adopting a dog? Take this quiz to determine if you are prepared to.
- This quiz from Care2 lets you take a good look at your living conditions to determine if now is the right time to adopt a pet
- Buzzfeed provides this quiz that helps you determine if you are ready to be a pet parent. Be aware that some of the questions are a little wonky.
- Metro’s quiz helps you determine if you are ready to get a pet. The quiz entails ten questions and is very quick to take.
What Type Of Pet Is Right For You?
- Take this quiz from Oprah to help you determine the right pet for you and your family
- This quiz from All The Tests has ten questions to help you focus your pet search on the type of animal that might be best for you
- Zimbio’s quiz will help you determine which kind of pet is right for you. Are you a parrot guy or more a pet rock kind of man?
- PDSA provides a useful questionnaire that enables you to think about your living situation and to determine which type of pet would be right for you.
- Select Smart helps you select the pet that is right for you. By filling in answers on the multiple choice quiz, this tool will help you identify the right pet for you.
- This article from Best Friends provides helpful questions for you to ask yourself before adopting an animal. Also, the article goes through different types of animals and identifies the pros and cons of ownership.
Sites To Help You Find Your New Pet
- Adopt a Pet allows different shelters and rescues throughout the United States to post their pets. This is essentially a giant google of fur-babies (and non-fur-babies) in need of homes.
- Pet Finder provides an extensive list of adoptable pets at rescues and shelters throughout the United States. You can conduct a more general search for a pet, or you can search by the cat or dog breed.
- Petango allows you to both search for dogs/cats and other types of animals, and it even has a pet match service to match your personality traits with the perfect pet. You can search for a dog and cat through a general search or by specific breeds.
- The Colorado Correctional Industries (CCI), Prison Trained K-9 Companion Program (PTKCP) provides the community with fully trained dogs. Also, the dogs assist the prisoners with learning valuable life lessons and increasing their responsibility. While this program is only in Colorado, there are other similar programs in other states.
- Georgia Canine Cell Mates
- Washington State Prison Pet Partnership
- Florida Dawgs in Prison
- The American Kennel Club provides lists of different rescues by specific dog breeds. If you are looking for purebred dogs, this could be the perfect place for you to locate your next companion.